Monday, September 12

On Monday The Vikings Swap Centers

Jon Cooper was feel good story when he joined the Vikings as an undrafted free agent in 2009 and then proceeded to make the team’s active roster as a reserve.

Cooper’s time with the Vikings has, at least for now, come to an end.

According to 1500 ESPN, the Vikings waived Cooper the morning after their 24-17 loss to the Chargers and replaced him with veteran center Joe Berger.

Berger, 29, has played for both the Cowboys and Dolphins over the course of his career and is thought to possess the versatility that Cooper failed to display during their 2011 training camp.

I still find it a little crazy that the Vikings continue to carry three centers and a long snapper, but at least Berger brings some added versatility to the mix, making the roster a little less thin at the guard position.

"(We) just felt like for what we were trying to do and where we want to be that this is the right thing to do," said Leslie Frazier about the move. "Jon has done a great job for us. Really like what he has done for our football team and in our locker room as well. But for where we're trying to get we just thought that this would be a good move. We'll see how it goes."

The Vikings offensive line remains a work in progress and fans should expect ups and downs throughout 2011, but it is a positive sign that the Vikings seem willing to shake things up a bit with hopes of making this unit more sound into the future.

21 comments:

  1. Sorry bout that, doing a little trial and error. Great site Adam. I knew you wouldnt sit on the sidelines too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Johnny, great to see you!

    Oh, and by the way: jjasdfjl;sdafajsda

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha my daughter was helping me and she rattled that off to see if it would post. Adam I'm still a little confused here, I have to type my name in for each comment. Do I need to put my email in the URL space?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johnny,

    I'm still getting used to the comments section. I believe you can enter your name and any URL (website link) and post comments that way... it shouldn't reset after each comment made.

    You can also sign in using a google account if you have one, wordpress, AIM...

    Anyone else having problems out there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Adam I'll give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, let me know, I fear it is much, much easier for me since I have an Admin account, so anyone else out there have positive or negative experiences, please share...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didnt work Adam. I tried using vikingsgab.com in the URL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope guess not. Can you add the comment/email option? The Gab was so easy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gimme some time on that Johnny, I'll have to consult someone with a little more know-how on these technical things. It'll get there...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Johnny, from everything I have ever read, getting an "OpenID" is the way to go from an ease and security standpoint: http://openid.net/get-an-openid/what-is-openid/

    I'll look into the email notification option in the comments section.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok thanks. Now back to topic, does this Berger have any upside or just a practice body? They must think he's better than Cooper for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Or, if you sign in using a google account, your ID will be saved and you can even click the button letting you be notified of other comments via email.

    Still looking into other options...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Berger provides a versatile backup in case of injury... not a real upside type of guy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Testing if name works fine every time

    ReplyDelete
  15. Testing too, Name /URL works fine...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice to see your name popping up Johnny !!!

    ReplyDelete

I recommend using a Google or OpenID account if you plan to comment here often. Let us know what you have to say about your favorite team!